The following are registration requirements for an international certificate of registration:
- Applicants must have graduated from one of the accredited athletic therapy schools listed below that
offer a degree program in athletic therapy;
||Dublin City University
||Montclair State University
||Mount Royal University
||National University of Medical Science
|Trinity Western University
||University of Calgary
||University of Manitoba
||University of Winnipeg
||Weber State University
- Applicants must not have been found guilty of an offence that is relevant to suitability to practise
- All national and international applicants must pass the board exams administered by the International Board of Certified Athletic Trainers. This requirement elevates the athletic therapy profession and is a forward step to getting athletic therapy regulated everywhere.
- As a condition of membership all applicants understand that on an annual basis their names and
license numbers are submitted to the insurers and Ministry of Health of the jurisdiction they practice in. This is to ensure they their rights to practice athletic therapy and to bill insurers (if applicable) remain protected.
- IBCAT is continuously working to make athletic therapy a regulated health profession in the province
of Ontario as well as other Canadian provinces & elsewhere such as South Korea, Brazil, Colombia, Iran, China, India, Mexico and Singapore. Once this is achieved in each jurisdiction; additional requirements may be added as per government guidelines and health regulatory board instructions applicable in that jurisdiction.
- Applicants must adhere to the IBCAT code of ethics. Applicants should understand that IBCAT has a
disciplinary process and that complaints can be registered against the member by patients, insurers and other members. Applicants are required by IBCAT to upgrade themselves regularly by taking a continuing education course per year as specified and approved by IBCAT.
- Applicants must hold a valid First Aid and CPR-HCP certificate prior to applying for the board exam.
- Applicants must send a copy of university or college transcripts to IBCAT.
To receive the application form please contact IBCAT at:
International Board of Certified Athletic Therapists
6021 Yonge Street, Suite 390, Toronto, Ontario
Canada M2M 3W2